Learn about the multidisciplinary OEM training program supported by the Northwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety.
One Health Track
Can you guess which of these emerging infectious diseases appeared as an occupational disease due to work activity before appearing in any other settings?
C. Avian Influenza
D. Nipah Virus
E. Q Fever
Visit our Curriculum page for the answer and more information about the One Health Track.
Make a gift
The OEMP Fund provides direct support to the UW Occupational and Environmental Medicine Program including residency and clinic initiatives.
The UW OEM program offers outstanding clinical training in the context of:
University of Washington Medical Center – Montlake ranked #1 in the state
Harborview Medical Center, the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the state
School of Medicine ranked #1 in primary care training and #7 for research training in the country
UW Graduate Medical Education supports 1,000+ physician trainees in 118 ACGME-accredited training programs, the 6th largest nationally
Our trainees learn to manage occupational injury and illness within one of the most progressive state-based workers’ compensation insurance programs in the United States, Washington State Labor & Industries (L&I). L&I sponsors Centers of Occupational Health and Education (COHEs) throughout the state of Washington to promote occupational-health best practices, including a COHE based at UW.
The UW OEM program is closely linked with the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, which offers the MPH in Occupational and Environmental Medicine as part of the OEM curriculum.
OEM graduates enjoy diverse careers in direct patient care, public health, research, and academics. Employers of our graduates include:
- Kaiser Permanente
- University of Washington
- Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
- California Department of Health
- VA Puget Sound Healthcare System
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- NASA, Ames Research Center
- US Military
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Life in Seattle
Experience Seattle, a vibrant urban city surrounded by unmatched natural beauty.
- Fantastic year-round outdoor recreation, including alpine and cross-country skiing, backpacking, cycling, hiking, kayaking, kite-boarding, river rafting, rock climbing, sailing, snowboarding, and swimming
- Outstanding performing arts including the Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Seattle Opera, Pacific Northwest Ballet, 5th Avenue Theatre, plus a plethora of intimate music venues and theatres
- Thriving local economy supports exceptional restaurants, coffee, micro-breweries, and wineries
- The Seattle Sounders – 2016, 2019 Major League Soccer Cup Champions
- The Seattle Seahawks – 2014 Super Bowl Champions
- The Seattle Storm – 2004, 2010, 2018, 2020 WNBA Champions
- Easy access to the San Juan Islands, the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver BC, and Whistler (two hours by car to the US-Canadian border)
Debbie Cherry, MD, MS