This is unpublished
Associate Professor Emeritus, Medicine
Education & Training
- MD, Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE (1982)
- Internship, Residency, and Chief Residency in Internal Medicine, Creighton University Affiliated Hospitals, Omaha, NE (1982–1986)
- MPH, University of Washington School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA (1995)
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Doctors (2011)
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Doctors (2010)
- Excellence in Resident Education Award (2009–2010)
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Doctors (2009)
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Doctors (2007)
- Selected for Inclusion in Best Doctors (2003)
- Outstanding Patient Educator Award (2001)
- Fellowship, National Research Service Award in Primary Care (1993–1995)
- St. Joseph Hospital Staff Distinguished Service Award (1993)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1993)
- Dedicated Teacher Award (1992)
- Golden Apple Award (Class of 1990) (1988)
- Outstanding Medicine Resident (1985)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1978)
- Laya MB, Gallagher JC, Schreiman JS, Larson EB, Watson P, Weinstein L. 1995. Effect of postmenopausal hormonal replacement therapy on mammographic density and parenchymal pattern. Radiology. 196(2):433–7.
- Laya MB, Larson EB, Taplin SH, White E. 1996. Effect of estrogen replacement therapy on the specificity and sensitivity of screening mammography. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 88(10):643–9.
- Rutter CM, Mandelson MT, Laya MB, Seger DJ, Taplin S. 2001. Changes in breast density associated with initiation, discontinuation, and continuing use of hormone replacement therapy. JAMA. 285(2):171–6.
- Johnson KM, Bradley KA, Bush K, Gardella C, Dobie DJ, Laya MB. 2006. Frequency of mastalgia among women veterans. Association with psychiatric conditions and unexplained pain syndromes. Journal of general internal medicine. 21 Suppl 3:S70–5.
- Reed SDL, Laya MB, Melville J, Ismail SY, Mitchell CM, Ackerman DR. 2007. Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency and clinical associations among veiled East African women in Washington State. Journal of women's health (2002). 16(2):206–13.