This is unpublished
Associate Chief of Medicine, Harborview Medical Center
Required Internal Medicine Clerkship Site Co-Director, Harborview Medical Center
Education & Training
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (1985–1989)
- Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, Primary Care Track, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (1989–1992)
- Chief Residency in Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA (1992–1993)
- ACP National Award for Outstanding Educator of Residents and Fellows (2021–2022)
- Gold Humanism Society (2017)
- Laureate of the Washington Chapter, American College of Physicians (2009)
- Best Doctors in America (2003–)
- UW Teacher Superior in Perpetuity (2001)
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (2000)
- Dr. Paul Beeson Award (1996)
- Harborview Housestaff Achievement Award (1992, 1993)
- Keeping fellow internists up-to-date with advances in medical knowledge
- Medical education
- Primary HIV care
- Sheffield JVL, Wipf JE, Buchwald D. Work activities of clinician-educators. J Gen Intern Med. 1998;13:406–9.
- Sheffield JVL, Root RK. Smoking and pneumococcal infection [editorial]. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:732–4.
- Sheffield JVL, Larson EB. Update in general internal medicine. Ann Intern Med. 2001;135:269–78.
- Sheffield JVL, Young A, Goldstein EA, Logerfo JP. The public hospital mission at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center: high-quality care for the underserved and excellence in medical education. Acad Med. 2006; 81:886–90.
- Ash S, Sheffield JVL. Pneumococcus. in: D. S. Paauw (ed.): Infectious disease threats. Medical Clinics of North America 2013;97 (4):647–66.
- Sheffield JVL, Paauw DS. We sent them home. The Pharos. Summer 2020: 38-41.