Education & Training
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA (1975–1979)
- Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics, Chicago, IL (1979–1982)
- MPH, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA (1982–1984)
- International Diabetes Epidemiology Group Peter Bennett Award (2022)
- American Diabetes Association Roger E. Pecoraro Award (2021)
- William J. Bremner Endowed Department of Medicine Mentorship Award for Mentorship of Physician-Scientists (2019)
- American Diabetes Association Kelly M. West Award (2013)
- UWMC Award for Outstanding Mentorship (2004)
- Gold Star Reviewer, Diabetes Care (2004)
- Best Doctors in America (2003)
- Career Development Award, National Foundation for Ileitis and Colitis (1986–1989)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (1979)
Edward J. Boyko, MD, MPH, is a Staff Physician at VA Puget Sound Health Care System and a Professor of Medicine and Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology at UW. His research program focuses on the epidemiology of chronic illnesses, in particular type 2 diabetes risk factors and complications. He has held national and international positions including Associate Editor of Diabetes Care and the American Journal of Epidemiology; Chair of the NIH Kidney, Nutrition, Obesity, and Diabetes (KNOD) study section; and President of the International Diabetes Epidemiology Group. He recently served as Scientific Programme Chair of the 2019 International Diabetes Federation Meeting held in Busan, Korea, and he currently serves as Co-Chair of the International Diabetes Federation Atlas 10th Edition. He has received two mentorship awards from UW in recognition of his work in developing the careers of over 60 mentees.
Dr. Boyko currently leads several ongoing research projects. He is the Chair of CSP #505: Millennium Cohort Study, a prospective study jointly conducted by DoD and VA to investigate the health effects of military service that has enrolled over 250,000 participants and is planned to continue follow-up of participants until 2068. He has led the Million Veteran Program VA Puget Sound site since its inception in 2011, with more than 23,000 Veterans recruited from the Seattle and American Lake campuses to date. Dr. Boyko is also lead investigator of a VA All of Us site that opened in 2021, one of multiple VA sites around the country that aims to recruit veterans into this research program that is a key component of NIH’s precision medicine initiative. He turned his attention to COVID research with the onset of the pandemic and completed work funded by a VA rapid response award. Currently, Dr. Boyko is a co-PI of the VA COVID-19 Observational Research Collaboratory. Additionally, he continues to conduct research on two prospective studies that ended subject recruitments years ago: a VA-funded project assessing risk factors for diabetic foot complications, and an NIH-funded project entitled “Japanese American Community Diabetes Study.”
- Associations of statin use with 30-day adverse outcomes among 4 801 406 US Veterans with and without SARS-CoV-2: an observational cohort study. Wander PL, Lowy E, Beste LA, Tulloch-Palomino L, Korpak A, Peterson AC, Kahn SE, Danaei G, Boyko EJ. BMJ Open. 2022 Mar 18;12(3):e058363. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2021-058363. PMID: 35304400.
- The Incidence of Diabetes Among 2,777,768 Veterans With and Without Recent SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Wander PL, Lowy E, Beste LA, Tulloch-Palomino L, Korpak A, Peterson AC, Kahn SE, Boyko EJ. Diabetes Care. 2022 Apr 1;45(4):782-788. doi: 10.2337/dc21-1686. PMID: 35085391.
- Risk of Foot Ulcer and Lower-Extremity Amputation Among Participants in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications Study. Boyko EJ, Zelnick LR, Braffett BH, Pop-Busui R, Cowie CC, Lorenzi GM, Gubitosi-Klug R, Zinman B, de Boer IH. Diabetes Care. 2022 Feb 1;45(2):357-364. doi: 10.2337/dc21-1816. PMID: 35007329 Clinical Trial.
- Plasma amino acid profile, a biomarker for visceral adipose tissue that can substitute for waist circumference in Japanese Americans. Tran AM, Wander PL, Thomas MK, Leonetti DL, Kahn SE, Fujimoto WY, Boyko EJ. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2021 Nov-Dec;15(6):557-563. doi: 10.1016/j.orcp.2021.10.007. Epub 2021 Nov 12. PMID: 34782257.
- Prior Glucose-Lowering Medication Use and 30-Day Outcomes Among 64,892 Veterans With Diabetes and COVID-19. Wander PL, Lowy E, Beste LA, Tulloch-Palomino L, Korpak A, Peterson AC, Kahn SE, Boyko EJ. Diabetes Care. 2021 Dec;44(12):2708-2713. doi: 10.2337/dc21-1351. Epub 2021 Oct 6. PMID: 34615690.
- Causation Research on Diabetic Foot Complications-What I Learned From Roger Pecoraro: The 2021 Roger E. Pecoraro Award Lecture. Boyko EJ. Diabetes Care. 2021 Sep 21:dci210026. doi: 10.2337/dci21-0026. Online ahead of print. PMID: 34548280.