This is unpublished
Professor, Global Health
Adjunct Professor, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences
Education & Training
- MD, George Washington University, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Washington, DC (1975–1979)
- Residency in Internal Medicine, Primary Care Track, University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Seattle, WA (1979–1982)
- Chief Residency in Medicine, Swedish Hospital Medical Center, Seattle, WA (1981–1982)
- Fellowship in Respiratory Disease and Critical Care, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (1982–1984)
- Residency in Preventative Medicine, University of Washington, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA (1984–1986)
- MPH, University of Washington, School of Public health and Community Medicine, Seattle, WA (1984–1986)
- American College of Physicians Teaching and Research Scholar (1985–1988)
- Fellow, Respiratory Diseases and Critical Care Medicine, UW (1982–1984)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
Dr. Barnhart has worked in a wide variety of clinical and public health settings. He is interested in health system strengthening and capacity development of Ministries of Health and local NGOs to develop independent programs to implement public health programs. Research projects have included strengthening public hospitals and support for development of electronic medical records in Haiti, design of teaching clinics in Ethiopia, and implementation of voluntary male medical circumcision at scale to prevent HIV transmission in Southern and Eastern Africa. He is also interested in encouraging the transfer of grants from foreign institutions to local NGOs for direct management as a matter of social justice.
- Bateganya M, Hagopian A, Tavrow P, Luboga S, Barnhart S. Incentives and Barriers to Implementing National Hospital Standards in Uganda. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 2009 Dec;21(6):421–6. Epub 2009 Sep 30. PMID: 19797303.
- Martin R, Barnhart S. Global laboratory systems development: Needs and approaches. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2011 Sep;25(3):677–91. PMID: 21896367.
- Achembong Leo Ndiangang, Ashu Agbor Michael, Hagopian Amy, Downer Ann, Barnhart Scott. Cameroon mid-level providers offer a promising public health dentistry model. Human Resources for Health. 2012, 10:46. PMCID: PMC3529690.
- James Cowan, Jessica Greenberg Cowan, Scott Barnhart, Solomon Demamu, Daniel Fiseha, William Graham, Endalkachew Melese, Letitia Reason, Fana Tefera Asfaw, Getachew Feleke, Beniam Feleke. A Qualitative Assessment of Challenges to Tuberculosis Management and Prevention in Northern Ethiopia. International Journal Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2013 Aug;17(8):1071–5. PMCID: PMC4582423.
- Galukande M, Kaggwa S, Sekimpi P, Kakaire O, Katamba A, Munabi I, Runumi FM, Mills E, Hagopian A, Blair G, Barnhart S, Luboga S. Use of surgical task shifting to scale up essential surgical services: a feasibility analysis at facility level in Uganda. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013 Aug 1;13:292. PMCID: PMC3734124.