This is unpublished
Education & Training
- MD, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, Minneapolis, MN (1987–1991)
- Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (1991–1994)
- Chief Residency in Medicine, Providence Medical Center, Seattle, WA (1994–1995)
- International AIDS Research and Training Program, Fieldwork, Lima, Peru (1996–1997)
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (1995–1998)
- Seattle Met Magazine, Top Doctors (Internal Medicine) (2020)
- Distinguished UW School of Medicine Colleges Faculty (2016)
- Society of General Internal Medicine Appreciation Award for NW Region Leadership (2014)
- Department of Veterans Affairs Service Award (2013)
- Department of Veterans Affairs Goal Sharing Award (2008)
- Department of Veterans Affairs Recognition Award (2004)
- Department of Veterans Affairs Special Contribution Award (2003)
- Winner, Washington Chapter of American College of Physicians Clinical Vignette Competition (1994)
- Phi Beta Kappa (1986)
- National Merit Scholar (1982–1986)
research & clinical interests
- Hospital Medicine
- Medical Education
- Perioperative Care
- Perioperative Medicine
- Women’s Health
- Johnson KM*, Newman KL*, Green PK, Berry K, Cornia PB, Wu P, Beste LA, Itani K, Harris AH, Kamath PS, Ioannou GN. Incidence and risk factors of postoperative mortality and morbidity after elective versus emergent abdominal surgery in a national sample of 8193 patients with cirrhosis. Ann Surg. 2019 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 31714310. *Co-first authors. [Original work]
- Newman K, Johnson KM, Cornia P, Wu P, Itani K, Ioannou G. Perioperative Evaluation and Management of Patients with Cirrhosis: Risk Assessment, Surgical Outcomes, and Future Directions. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jul 31. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 31376494
- Kunjam M, Johnson KM, Kuperman E, Grant PJ, Slawski B, Pfeifer K, Cohn SL. 2018 Update in perioperative cardiovascular medicine: Five questions answered. Cleve Clin J Med 2018;85(11):853-9.
- Fang M, O’Glasser A, Sahahi S, Pfeiffer K, Johnson KM, Kuperman E. Development of a nationwide consensus curriculum of perioperative medicine: A modified Delphi method. Periop Care Oper Manag 2018;12:31-34.
- Golob A, Beste LA, Stern M, Johnson KM. Emotional distress among physician residents and fellows: An observational study of trainees seeking counseling visits. Acad Psychiatry 2018;42:25-30.
- Johnson KM, Simon N, Wicks M, Barr K, O'Connor K, Schaad D. Amount of Sleep, Daytime Sleepiness, Hazardous Driving, and Quality of Life of Second Year Medical Students. Acad Psychiatry. 2017 Oct;41(5):669-673. doi: 10.1007/s40596-017-0668-6. Epub 2017 Apr 18. PMID: 28421480.
- Romanoff A, Constant TH, Johnson KM, Guadiamos MC, Vega AMB, Zunt J, Anderson BO. Association of Previous Clinical Breast Examination With Reduced Delays and Earlier-Stage Breast Cancer Diagnosis Among Women in Peru. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Nov 1;3(11):1563–1567. doi: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.1023. PMID: 28542677; PMCID: PMC5824208.
- Takahashi TA, Lee CI, Johnson KM. Breast cancer screening: Does tomosynthesis augment mammography? Cleve Clin J Med. 2017 Jul;84(7):522–527. doi: 10.3949/ccjm.84a.16057. Review. PMID: 28696192.
- Johnson KM. Capsule Commentary on VanGompel et al., Incidence and Predictors of Repeat Bone Mineral Densitometry: A Longitudinal Cohort Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Oct;32(10):1131. doi: 10.1007/s11606-017-4132-9. PMID: 28752358; PMCID: PMC5602774.
- Johnson KM, Green PK, Ioannou GN. Implications of HCV RNA level at week 4 of direct antiviral treatments for Hepatitis C. J Viral Hepat 2017;24(11):966-975. PMID 28585416.
- Batur P, Walsh J, Schwartz EB, Johnson KM. Women’s health 2016: An update for internists. Cleve Clin J Med. 2016 Dec;83(12):905-913.
- McNamara M, Batur P, Walsh J, Johnson KM. HPV Update: Vaccination, screening, and associated disease. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Nov;31(11):1360-1366.
- Takahashi TA and Johnson KM. Menopause. Med Clin North Am. 2015 May;99(3):521–34.
- Johnson KM and Cornia PB. Atrial Fibrillation. In: M.B. Jackson et al., eds. The Perioperative Medicine Consult Handbook. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Springer. 2014:51–59.
- Cornia PB and Johnson KM. Perioperative Beta-Blockers. In: M.B. Jackson et al., eds. The Perioperative Medicine Consult Handbook. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Springer. 2014:45–49.
- Johnson KM, Nelson KM, Bradley KA. 2006. Television viewing practices and obesity among women veterans. Journal of general internal medicine. 21 Suppl 3:S76–81.
- Johnson KM, Bradley KA, Bush K, Gardella C, Dobie DJ, Laya MB. 2006. Frequency of mastalgia among women veterans. Association with psychiatric conditions and unexplained pain syndromes. Journal of general internal medicine. 21 Suppl 3:S70–5.