This is unpublished
Penny LeGate and Craig Tall Term Professor in Addiction Medicine
Education & Training
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT (1986–1990)
- Residency in Internal Medicine, Primary Care Track, University of California/San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA (1990–1993)
- MPH, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA (1996–1998)
- Department of Health and Human Services Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Science and Service Award in Office Based Opioid Treatment (2012)
- Seattle's Best Doctors, Seattle Magazine (2005, 2010, 2012)
- Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program Mentor Award (2005)
- Trench Prize (1982)
research & clinical interests
- Addiction medicine
- Chronic pain management
- Integrating opiate addiction treatment into general medical practice
- Medical student teaching and mentoring
- Merrill JO, Rhodes LA, Deyo RA, Marlatt AG, Bradley KA. 2002. Mutual mistrust in the medical care of drug users: The keys to the "narc" cabinet. Journal of general internal medicine. 17(5):327–33.
- Merrill JO, Jackson RT, Schulman BA, Saxon AJ, Awan A, Kapitan S, Carney M, Brumback LC, Donovan D. 2005. Methadone medical maintenance in primary care. An implementation evaluation. Journal of general internal medicine. 20(4):344–9.
- Banta-Green CJ, Merrill JO, Doyle SR, Boudreau DM, Calsyn DA. 2009. Measurement of opioid problems among chronic pain patients in a general medical population. Drug and alcohol dependence. 104(1–2):43–9.
- Weisner CM, Campbell CI, Ray TG, Saunders K, Merrill JO, Banta-Green C, Sullivan MD, Silverberg MJ, Mertens JR, Boudreau D, et al. 2009. Trends in prescribed opioid therapy for non-cancer pain for individuals with prior substance use disorders. Pain. 145(3):287–93.
- Dunn KM, Saunders KW, Rutter CM, Banta-Green CJ, Merrill JO, Sullivan MD, Weisner CM, Silverberg MJ, Campbell CI, Psaty BM, Von Korff M. 2010. Opioid prescriptions for chronic pain and overdose: a cohort study. Annals of internal medicine. 152(2):85–92.