Education & Training
- MHA, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, WA (1990–1992)
- MD, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA (1995–1999)
- Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Seattle, WA (1999–2002)
- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine Top Doctor Award (2020)
- Best Innovation, Society of Hospital Medicine, Pacific Northwest Chapter (2019)
- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine Top Doctor Award (2018)
- UW Housestaff Quality Safety Committee Gene Peterson Award for Excellence in Quality Improvement (2018)
- Harborview Cares Award (2016)
- Senior Fellow, Society of Hospital Medicine (2015)
- Centers for Disease Control Champion for Prevention of Hospital-acquired Venous Thromboembolism (2015)
- Remarkable Quality Improvement Project, America’s Essential Hospitals (2014)
- Best Peer Reviewer (Top 10%), Journal of Hospital Medicine (2011)
- Dean's Distinguished Faculty Recognition, UW Medicine (2011)
- Best Academic Innovation, Society of Hospital Medicine (2010)
- Elected to Fellowship, Society of Hospital Medicine (2009)
- Award for Excellence in Teaching (2000)
- Medical Thesis Honors (1999)
- Award in Health Care Research (1997–1998)
- Health services research
- Hospital medicine
- Patient safety and quality improvement
- Venous thromboembolism and anticoagulation
- Young A, Schleyer AM. The hospitalist’s story. JAMA 2006;296:2067–8.
- Schleyer AM, Schreuder AB, Jarman KM, LoGerfo JP, Goss JR. Adherence to Guideline-Directed Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis Among Medical and Surgical Inpatients at 33 Academic Medical Centers in the United States. Am J Med Qual 2011; 26(3):174–180.
- Schleyer AM, Best JA, McIntyre LK, et al. Improving Resident Engagement in Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Initiatives at the Bedside: The Advocate for Clinical Education (ACE). Am J Medical Quality 2013; 28(3):243–9.
- Taylor BB, Parekh V, Estrada C, Schleyer AM, Sharpe BA. Documenting quality improvement and patient safety efforts: the Quality Portfolio. A statement from the Academic Hospitalist Taskforce. J Gen Intern Med 2014;29(10):214–218.
- Schleyer AM, Jarman KM, Calver P, Cuschieri J, Robinson E, Goss JR. Upper extremity deep vein thrombosis in hospitalized patients. Journal of Hospital Medicine 2014;9(1):48–53.
- Flanagan MR, Foster CC (joint first authorship), Schleyer AM, Peterson GM, Mandell SP, Joyner BD, Payne TH. Aligning Institutional Priorities: Engaging Housestaff in a Quality Improvement and Safety Initiative to Fulfill Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER) Guidelines and Electronic Medical Record Meaningful Use Requirements. Am J Surg 2016;211(2):390–397.
- Staiger TO, Mills LM, Wong BM, Levinson W, Bremner WJ, Schleyer AM. Recognizing quality improvement and patient safety activities in academic promotion in Departments of Medicine: Innovative language in promotion criteria. Am J Med 2016;129(5):540–546.
- Domes CM, Schleyer AM, McQueen JM, Pergamit RF, Beingessner DM. Evaluation of Appropriate Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis in Patients With Orthopaedic Trauma With Symptom-Driven Vascular and Radiographic Studies. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Dec;31(12):611-616. doi: 10.1097/BOT.0000000000000991. PMID: 28742789.
Martinez W, Lehmann LS, Thomas EJ, Etchegaray JM, Shelburne JT, Hickson GB, Brady DW, Schleyer AM, Best JA, May NB, Bell SK. Speaking up about traditional and professionalism-related patient safety threats: a national survey of interns and residents. BMJ Qual Saf. 2017 Nov;26(11):869-880. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2016-006284. Epub 2017 Apr 25. PMID: 28442609.
Durvasula R, Kelly J, Schleyer AM, Anawalt B, Somani S, Dellit T. A standardized review and approval process for high cost medication use promotes high value care in an academic medical system. American Health and Drug Benefits, 2018;11(2):65-71.
Beieler A, Margaret A, Zhou H, Schleyer AM, Wald A, Dhanireddy S. Outpatient antibiotic parenteral therapy (OPAT) in vulnerable populations – persons who inject drugs and the homeless. J Hosp Med 2019;2(14):105-109.
Chan JD, Bryson-Kahn C, Kassamali-Escobar Z, Lynch JB, Schleyer AM. The Changing Landscape of Uncomplicated Gram-Negative Bacteremia: A Narrative Review to Guide Inpatient Management. J Hosp Med 2020; DOI: 10.12788/jhm.3414.
Gallagher TH, Schleyer AM. We signed up for this! Student and trainee responses to the COVID-19 pandemic. N Engl J Med 2020. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp2005234.
Chen A, Wolpaw B, Vandevusse L, Wu C, Meo N, Staub M, Hicks K, Carr AS, Schleyer AM, Harrington RD, Klein J. Creating a Framework to Integrate Residency Program and Medical Center Approaches to Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Training. Academic Medicine 2020 Sep 8 doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000003725. PMID: 32909995. [original work]
Killien EY, Hujsmans RLN, Vavilala MS, Schleyer AM, Robinson EF, Maine RG, Rivara F. Association of psychosocial factors and hospital complications with risk for readmission after trauma. Accepted for publication. J Surg Res 2021;264:334-345.