This is unpublished
she, her, hers
Assistant Professor, Medicine
Director of GMS Addiction Medicine Program, VA Puget Sound Healthcare System
VA Site Director, UW Addiction Medicine Fellowship
Education & Training
- MD, high honors, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (2010–2014)
- Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA (2014–2017)
- Chief Resident in Internal Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (2017–2018)
- MS, Clinical Research, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (2018–2020)
- Clinician Researcher Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (2018–2020)
- Fellow, American Society of Addiction Medicine (2021)
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education Plenary Award (2018)
- First Place Research Poster, University of Pittsburgh Internal Medicine Research Day (2017)
- Thomas O’Toole Senior Resident Award for “Outstanding Care for Vulnerable Populations” (2017)
- Society for Pediatric Pathology Gilbert-Barness Award (2014)
- Wyoming Medical Society Outstanding Graduate Scholarship Award (2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society, University of Washington (2013)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, University of Washington (2013)
Research & Clinical Interests
- Curricular development for addiction medicine within graduate medical education
- Implementation of evidence-based treatment of substance use disorders within primary care
- Low-barrier access to medications for addiction treatment
- Primary care for people experiencing homelessness
- Primary care for people living with HIV
- Treatment of substance use disorders
- Kennedy AJ, McNeil M, Hamm M, de Abril Cameron F, Carter A. Internal Medicine Resident Perceptions of Patients with Substance Use Disorder After Attending a Mutual Support Group Meeting. Journal of General Internal Medicine; 29 Oct 2019, 35(3):918-921.
- Kennedy AJ, de April Cameron F, Hassan I, Goabo V, Fisk S, Ho K, Edelman J, Hamm M, Merlin J. Barriers and Facilitators to Providing HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis among Buprenorphine Prescribers: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Addiction Medicine. September 8, 2020. Volume published ahead of print.
- Kennedy AJ, Lombardi K, Fruehstorfer G, Hamm M, McNeil M, Carter A. Words Medicine Residents Use to Describe Substance Use Disorders After Attending a Mutual Support Group Meeting. Journal of General Internal Medicine. January 6, 2021.
- Kennedy AJ, Wessel CB, Levine R, Downer K, Raymond M, Osakue D, Hassan I, Merlin JS, Liebschutz JM. Factors Associated with Long-term Retention in Buprenorphine-Based Addiction Treatment Programs: A Systematic Review. Journal of General Internal Medicine. January 19, 2021. Online ahead of print.
- Kennedy AJ, McGinnis KA, Merlin JS, Edelman EJ, Gordon AJ, Korthuis PT, Skanderson M, Williams EC, Wyse J, Oldfield B, Bryant K, Justice A, Fiellin D, Kraemer KL. Impact of intensity of behavioral treatment, with and without medication treatment, for opioid use disorder on HIV outcomes in persons with HIV. Journal of Substance Abuse and Treatment. 2021 May 29;132:108509.
- Kennedy AJ, George JS, Rossetti G, Brown CO, Ragins K, Dadiomov D, Trotzky-Sirr R, Sanchez G, Llamas H, Hurley B. Providing Low-barrier Addiction Treatment Via a Telemedicine Consultation Service During the COVID-19 Pandemic in Los Angeles, County: An Assessment 1 Year Later. J Addict Med. 2023 Jan-Feb 01;17(1):e64-e66.
- Tuegel C, Farris SD, Kantner CW, Leyde S, DePhilippis D, Kennedy AJ. An Attendance-based Contingency Management Pilot Program for Veterans Experiencing Homelessness With Stimulant-associated Cardiomyopathy in Primary Care. J Addict Med. 2023 Jun 1.
- Kennedy AJ. Breast or Bottle - The Illusion of Choice. N Engl J Med. 2023 Apr 20;388(16):1447-1449. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp2300346. Epub 2023 Apr 15. PMID: 37070697.