This is unpublished
Director, Primary Care Innovation Lab, VA Puget Sound
Dr. Deeds is an internist and primary care doctor at the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System. As faculty at the UW School of Medicine, she supervises physicians in primary care clinics and on inpatient medicine rotations at the VA. Dr. Deeds is the Director of the Primary Care Innovation Lab at VA Puget Sound, through which she leads a team that supports the design and testing of quality improvement and operational projects. She enjoys mentoring residents and students interested in primary care and in working on educational and quality improvement projects. In her free time she enjoys spending time with her family and traveling.
Education & Training
- MD, Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH (2013)
- Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (2013–2016)
- Chief Residency in Internal Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (2016)
- Phi Beta Kappa, University of Michigan (2009)
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Washington School of Medicine (2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (2017)
- Clinical Efficiency
- Healthcare Delivery
- Electronic Medical Record Tools
- Quality Improvement
- Primary Care Training
- Preventative Health
- Management of Chronic Conditions
- Women’s Health
- Shared Decision-making
- Clinical Efficiency
- Deeds S, Dowdell K, Chew L, Ackerman S. Implementing an Opt-in eConsult Program at Seven Academic Medical Centers: A Qualitative Analysis of Primary Care Provider Experiences. JGIM. 2019 Aug;34(8):1427-1433.
- Deeds S, Carr S, garrison M, Fainstad T. Delivery of Standardized Patient Instructions in the After-Visit Summary Reduces Telephone Calls Between Clinic Visits. Am J Med Qual. 2018 Nov/Dec;33(6):642-648.
- Deeds S, Oakes P, Mookherjee S, Levitt D. What are the chances? J Hosp Med. 2017 Apr;12(4):262-265.
- Sopher AB, Gerken AT, Lee EJ, Blaner WE, Deeds S, Gallagher D, Shungu DC, Mao X, Hassoun A, Mahon DJ, Oberfield SE. Retinol-binding protein 4 correlates with triglycerides but not insulin resistance in prepubertal children with and without premature adrenarche. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2011;24(9-10):683-7.
- Deeds SA, Corning K, Wipf J, Takahashi T. Expanding Primary Care Experiences with Novel Rotations for Residents at a Veteran Affairs Medical Center. JGME. 2019 Dec;11(6):691-697. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-19-00147.1.
- Deeds SA, Hagan SL, Geyer JR, Vanderwarker C, Grandjean MW, Reddy A, Nelson KM. Leveraging an electronic health record note template to standardize screening and testing for COVID-19. Healthc (Amst). 2020 Sep;8(3):100454. doi: 10.1016/j.hjdsi.2020.100454. Epub 2020 Jul 22.
- Reddy A, Gunnink E, Deeds SA, Hagan SL, Heyworth L, Mattras TF, Nelson KM. A rapid mobilization of 'virtual' primary care services in response to COVID-19 at Veterans Health Administration. Healthcare. December 2020;8(4):100464. [Original work]
- Hagan S, Wheat C, Laundry R, Deeds S, Singh H, Nelson K, Reddy A. Development and Validation of an Electronic Trigger to Monitor Follow-up for Moderately Elevated, Outpatient Serum Potassium Levels. J Gen Intern Med. 2022 May 17.