The 2020–2021 Summer–Fall Seminar Series focused on Impactful Teaching, using the SFDP clinical teaching framework as a guide for optimizing different aspects of teaching. There was a special emphasis on the importance of fostering a positive learning climate—which is central to impactful teaching. The six seminars in this series were:
7/17/20 – Seminar 1: Somnath Mookherjee – Impactful teaching: Building a shared mental model
1. Reflect: history and societal context influences the learning climate
2. Prioritize a positive learning climate as a prerequisite for impactful teaching.
3. Appreciate that observable actions / words / behaviors lead to impactful clinical teaching
1. Identify opportunities to improve your current feedback methods
2. Emphasize “coaching” and a “growth mind-set”
3. Give high-yield feedback to improve clinical skills
9/18/20 – Seminar 3: Susan Merel and John Choe – Evaluating learners and mitigating bias: A conversation
1. Describe Entrustable Professional Activities (EPA's) used in resident evaluations and the PRIME framework for evaluating students.
2. Identify language commonly used in written comments that reflects bias against women and members of underrepresented minority groups.
3. Operationalize a personal plan to mitigate bias when evaluating learners
10/16/20 – Seminar 4: Jeffrey D. Krimmel-Morrison – Optimizing self-directed learning in the clinical teaching environment
1. Recognize learning principles that inform self-directed learning
2. Prioritize core training strategies and specific training exercises
3. Implement a structured, sustainable, and personalized self-directed learning plan
11/20/20 – Seminar 5: Naomi Shike – Tips for fostering an anti-racist learning environment
1. Create a personalized action plan for becoming an anti-racist educator
2. Promote a more inclusive learning environment in the context of longitudinal teacher / learner relationships
3. Talk more openly about racial injustice, especially anti-Black racism, with learners
12/18/20 – Seminar 6: Gaby Berger – How to use “Chalk Talks” to maximize the impact of your teaching
1. Create and deliver content in the allotted time for teaching
2. Effectively use visual aids to maximize understanding
3. Emphasize key take home points Series