A Leader in Occupational Medicine Training
Established in 1977, the Occupational and Environmental Medicine (OEM) training program at the University of Washington is one of the longest standing programs of its kind in the United States. Trainees learn directly from national leaders in OEM, leading to exciting careers for physicians from all backgrounds.
Watch our video
Learn about the multidisciplinary OEM training program supported by the Northwest Center for Occupational Health and Safety.
One Health Track
Can you guess which of these emerging infectious diseases appeared as an occupational disease due to work activity before appearing in any other settings?
C. Avian Influenza
D. Nipah Virus
E. Q Fever
Visit our Curriculum page for the answer and more information about the One Health Track.
The UW OEM program offers outstanding clinical training in the context of:
University of Washington Medical Center ranked #1 in the state
Harborview Medical Center (Level 1 Trauma Center) ranked #2 in the state
School of Medicine ranked #10 for research in the country
UW Graduate Medical Education supports 1,000+ physician trainees in 100+ training programs
Our trainees learn to manage occupational injury and illness within one of the most progressive state-based workers’ compensation insurance programs in the United States, Washington State Labor & Industries (L&I). L&I sponsors Centers of Occupational Health and Education (COHEs) throughout the state of Washington to promote occupational-health best practices, including a COHE based at UW.
The UW OEM program is closely linked with the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, which offers the MPH in Environmental and Occupational Health as part of the OEM curriculum.
Careers of UW OEM Alumni
- Kaiser Permanente
- University of Washington
- Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
- California Department of Health
- VA Puget Sound Healthcare System
- National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
- NASA, Ames Research Center
- US Military
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Life in Seattle
Experience Seattle, a vibrant urban city surrounded by unmatched natural beauty.
- Fantastic year-round outdoor recreation, including alpine and cross-country skiing, backpacking, cycling, hiking, kayaking, kite-boarding, river rafting, rock climbing, sailing, snowboarding, and swimming
- Outstanding performing arts including the Seattle Symphony Orchestra, Seattle Opera, Pacific Northwest Ballet, 5th Avenue Theatre, plus a plethora of intimate music venues and theatres
- Thriving local economy supports exceptional restaurants, coffee, micro-breweries, and wineries
- The Seattle Sounders – 2017 Major League Soccer Cup Champions
- The Seattle Seahawks – 2014 Super Bowl Champions
- Easy access to the San Juan Islands, the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver BC, and Whistler (two hours by car to the US-Canadian border)