The Occupational and Environmental Medicine (OEM) residency at UW is a multifaceted program leading to a variety of exciting careers for physicians of all backgrounds. Residents receive a combination of didactic, supervised practical training and research experience in our two-year, ACGME-accredited training program that leads to board eligibility in Occupational Medicine.
The UW Occupational & Environmental Medicine (OEM) residency:
- Offers outstanding academic and clinical training by leveraging the resources the University of Washington, one of the world’s leading academic centers in public health and medicine.
- Prepares physicians for leadership roles and careers in clinical, academic, research, public health, government, corporate, or military settings by tailoring the curriculum to individual interests.
- Qualifies candidates for board eligibility in Preventive Medicine and/or Occupational Medicine in an ACGME accredited program.
Recent graduates have established successful careers in:
- Outpatient clinical practice
- Academic medicine
- Policy and government agencies
- Healthcare administration
- Military healthcare
Our faculty are based jointly in the Department of Medicine (School of Medicine) and the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences (School of Public Health), creating rich academic and research possibilities for residents. Residents also have the opportunity to work with partners in nursing, toxicology, and industrial hygiene in both clinics and the classroom.
While in the program, residents work toward a master’s in public health (MPH) degree with a focus in Occupational and Environmental Medicine. If residents enter with an MPH, additional practica are established in conjunction with the Program Director around the resident’s area(s) of interest.
As some of over 1,000 residents in over 100 training programs at the UW, our residents enjoy a rich academic and personal life. Seattle is consistently ranked as one of the most desirable places to live. Our competitive stipends and robust benefits package ensure our residents can enjoy all the city and region have to offer.